Monday, September 13, 2004

WOW that was fun!!!

Despite the HUGE heart ache I had when I felt my friend had let me down, we went to the Ren Fest and had a WONDERFUL time! It was great!! Kade and I got up at 7 in the morning, to begin our prep. We were all ready, and I had even been on the computer for a few minutes, by the time Jen got here. She came at 10 and had two outfits with her for us to help her choose from. We had her go in the green dress, because she would then match Kade and I. We then went over and met Chris and the boys and soon after, her aunt arrived with her grand daughter. The group set off and we were all on the road by 11. The drive seemed very long, since there was a lot of construction on I-75 and it was down to one lane in many of the areas. The three cars {we had to take three since Jen had to leave for a wedding, at 3 and Chris' Aunt needed hers incase she needed to leave early.} pulled in and the eight of us all filed into the festival around 12. Just as we were beginning our walk around the shops, we were stopped by a very large parade! It was really fun! The people in it were, of course, all dressed up as different things, and were yelling out and talking to all the standers by. When we did not smile, they would tell us things such as "Better smile, you are going to be here awhile." Or "Well if you are not going to smile, neither am I!" promptly followed by a frown or scowl. That would of course make us all laugh. The parade must have lasted for like five minutes or so and then we restarted our trek. One of the first stores I saw, was named Cassie's Garlands. I took a picture of that to show to Cass!! The streets were filled with vendors if different sorts of things, like a stone that had holes in it that made noise when you blew through them. And pickles! Oh the pickles!! There has got to be like three or four pickle stands in that one fair! And the people manning those things are the loudest, but very funny. You can hear their shouts for probably blocks, were it not for the other noise that go on at these things. At one of the shops I stopped and got some VERY expensive fudge!! {Later in the day though, I was very glad to have that.My sugar dropped and I had a bad case of the shakes. Nearly fell over and would have had I not had the fudge to bring my blood sugar back up to normal! Thank you Lord for having me buy the chocolate!!}
So lets see, what did we do next? Well, we walked all over the place, and my back held up pretty well! I didn't even really need to sit down till shortly before Jen had to go.
We went and watched the joust, and that was really fun. We did not get to see the entire show, but the opening speech made by the queen was enough in itself. Being as how it was on Sept. 11th, I wondered if they were not going to have something in reverence to the anniversary, but did not know how this would be achieved in a Ren. Era manner. It was done very nicely by the Queen when, after welcoming all the those competing in the joust {keep in mind this is all scripted! It is not like people are pulled from the crowd or anything} she began a small tribute to those lost in the attacks of Sept 11th 2001. The words United States of America or even USA, were never used in this small speech, instead she simply said that she wanted to bring a new set of colours out. {the riders and teams each had a set of colours.} and went on to say that there were many killed 3 years ago. This was our nation, she said, and we need to remember them. While I can not remember the actual terms she used she mentioned that we would need to stay strong and united, and this was the way we would win in the war we now had to fight. {that was a lot of w's did you notice??} After she ended her brief statement, the American Flag was brought out and hung over the banister, while Taps were played. There were two members of the Honor guard there, one of which held the flag pole during the song. It was all very sweet and never once did she fall out of character!

We got the last half of "The zucchini Brothers"! Very funny show, very clean aswell! I was very impressed with this fact! Just goes to show you, you can be funny and exciting and NOT have to be crude. We also caught the beginning of Dead Bob. I use to really like this act, but lately he has gotten very political, and like to do a large bit of Pres. Bush bashing. So we did not stay around. Besides, this was at the time that I was having difficulty standing, due to the low blood sugar, and everyone else needed food aswell. We had not really eaten any lunch...just nibbled a few things here and there....and did not have a sit down dinner or anything either. We did get some really great chicken and chips though. They were great! There were a few other shows that we stayed to see the last portion of, or that we got the tail end of, but none really worth mentioning that I can remember. However, the BEST one IMO was....WhipBoy. And, for all of those that have dirty minds, no it was not a crude show! :) WhipBoy is a master of the Bull Whip. According to him, he is a world known whip boy and does the worlds most difficult whip trick. He also does a balloon warm up, in which he swallows a long and skinny balloon.......really! I have no idea what happens to the thing, cause he did not ever take it out...that he showed us that is. His show is a comedic danger act. I laughed SO very hard, and he was the reason I had no voice the next day! I was not sure how I was going to be able to sing at church the next morning. He had everyone yelling at the top of their lungs and screaming and laughing and hootin and hollering. Great time!! That act is definitely going to be at the TOP of my must see list for next year! {he even has a website. WhipBoy grew up just a few miles away from me!!! :O :http://www.commidiots.com/stunt.htm }

We had much fun shopping through all of the stores that are there in the festival. They have everything you can think of! Each year, Kade and I get gifts for everyone in our family. This year, we got Mum the traditional Copper Roses but we also got extra smelly oil so that she can refuel them! :) The rose smell is SOO very real, you are nearly fooled into thinking you are smelling a real rose instead of the copper one! For Dad, this year, it was the tip of a dear antler. I thought it was pretty cool! Seems he did aswell. David is always the hardest one to find a gift for at this thing {and even on OTHER non-ren days he can be a hard one} since they did not have fun 'gadgets' like he likes, back in those times. They did, however, have leather. And one shop made leather Zippo lighter holders. So we got him one of those for his prized zippo lighter. {no, my brother does not smoke, he and I are just pyros! And when you are addicted to fire, you have to have cool flame throwers. He has a really neat silver zippo...that now sits in a black leather pouch!} Sammy got a leather pouch aswell, but his is for bigger things that lighters! :) For the girls, small clay necklaces. They were really pretty and have glitter and paint on them. They are in the shape of a small swirly shell. I got Tiff a green and silver bracelet, and she got me a tiny heart shape prism pendant. It is so beautiful! The past two years, I have seen and wanted a Rams Horn. I am not ReAlLy sure why, but I thought they looked cool and have nearly gotten myself one each year, but managed to talk myself out of it before I put the money out for it. Well this year I DIDNT! I got it! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have my Rams Horn! It is a pretty one at that, as far as Rams Horns go. It is black and shiny and has a brown leather rope so that it can hang around my neck! Now I just have to get good at using the thing. {see it is an actual horn made out of a rams horn.} Dad can do it really well, and the sound can be heard on all three floors of our house. I just seem to get those in the room with me really upset!

We left the park at oh 7:30 maybe. I think it was rather close to 8 though. We got home at 8:30 {the trip home is always faster isn't it?} and I found that I had been burned really bad by the sun! I had not even though of sun burn! My worries were on hot and cold and making sure I did not become too much of one. It seems though, that the sun had a direct path to my neck area and the only part of me there that did not get scorched was the bit that was covered by my rather large necklace. {a purchase from a past Ren Fest visit}

Sun burn or no, though, we had an absolute WONDERFUL time, and I would get do it all again in a heart beat! Sun burn and all!! :)

When I got home, I told Mum I had one big problem with the Fest!

It was over!


No comments: